We aim to ensure that all pupils develop a positive attitude towards mathematics, becoming fluent, confident mathematicians equipped with the skills to succeed within, and beyond, their school years.
We are committed to:
- Promoting the importance of mathematics in the wider world
- Fostering positive attitudes and excitement of discovery through the teaching and learning of mathematical concepts
- Supporting children to use their mathematical skills and knowledge in a range of contexts
- Ensuring that children can communicate confidently and reason about their mathematics
- Developing children’s confidence and resilience in mathematics by improving their growth mindset so they can reach their full potential
Prince Avenue pupils will:
- Recognise the importance of mathematics in the wider world
- Develop a positive attitude and excitement of discovery through the learning of mathematics
- Independently use their mathematical skills and knowledge in a range of contexts
- Communicate confidently and reason about their mathematics
- Become confident and resilient mathematicians, reaching their full potential by having a growth mindset
We adapt White Rose Maths as the basis of our daily maths lessons. This is an exciting and inspiring class mastery approach, which has been recommended by the Department for Education. Every lesson is divided into sections that involve plenty of discovery, sharing, thinking together, practice and reflection. Children are encouraged to solve problems each day through the use of concrete resources, pictorial representations and abstract thinking. Each child has their own Maths Book in which they answer questions and discuss their thinking with their teacher.
At the heart of this programme is the idea that all children can be successful mathematicians, and we aim to develop, in every child, a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject. We ensure that challenge is provided for all children, whatever their level of understanding.
We are committed to ensuring that children are able to recognise the importance of maths in the wider world and that they are able to use their mathematical skills and knowledge confidently in their lives, in a range of different contexts.
As an established member of the DfE funded maths mastery programme, we have access to a broad range of comprehensive and innovative continuing professional development opportunities. Through this partnership, we can ensure that staff at all levels understand the pedagogy of the mastery approach and can deliver a high quality mathematics education to every child.
At Prince Avenue we recognise the importance of fluency within maths. Fluency in maths is about developing number sense and being able to choose the most appropriate method for the task at hand; to be able to apply a skill to multiple contexts.
The National Curriculum states that pupils should become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics through varied and frequent practice. While a part of this is about knowing key mathematical facts and recalling them efficiently, fluency means so much more than this as it allows pupils to delve much deeper.
- Copy of KIRF Journey Y1
- Copy of KIRF Journey Y2
- Copy of KIRF Journey Y3
- Copy of KIRF Journey Y4
- Copy of KIRF Journey Y5
- Copy of KIRF Journey Y6